DEITY OF CHRIST

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Critique of John Calvin's Institutes of Christian religion - Intro

I am currently studying Institutes of Christian religion by John Calvin. I am also part of the group on facebook studying the same. John Calvin is held in awe by all the calvinist. He was a reformer and was the head of protestant city of geneva. He is also called the Protestant Pope for his authoritarian reign over the city of geneva. Most of the Protestants of our day will not want to live there because of the severe lack of freedom of worship and lifestyle. Right to dissent was not tolerated well. We will leave the judgement of the man to God and try to learn from what he has written in his most famous book.
 Many people overawed by Calvin , are unable to approach him critically. This is true especially of the Calvinists who bear his name. But I have no such bias . I am willing to study him , compare his ideas with that of the scripture and then write my critique.
I ll write a critique of it as I read it chapter by chapter , highlighting both the pearls and the trash , the grain and the chaff in it. As read the first few chapters I saw his work punctuated with errors here and there. I also read truth expounded clearly and concisely.
This exercise I believe this will make you and me more discerning in an age of emotional attachments to  bible teachers , theologians and thus to their teachings without comparing them with the word of God.

I pray that God will grant you grace to read this without developing animosity against me even as I point out the errors in the Institutes of Calvin.

My aim in this is to help build up the Church , to help the believers be lovers of truth and discerners of errors. My aim is to point to Christ , in whom as Paul says "are hidden all the treasures of wisdom " , who is "the way , the truth and the life" . I point to Christ because that's whom the Holy Spirit will also point to.
May God bless you as you read this.


No comments:

Post a Comment