DEITY OF CHRIST

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Romans 1 [Part 3] Verse 8 -16 - Observations

Romans 1 [NIV]

First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God’s will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith. 13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters,[d] that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now)in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,[e] just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”
Let us make some important observation regarding Paul's use of words in this passage. He uses the word "I" fourteen times, aleast once in every verse, except verse 17. The word 'my' is used 4 times in verses 8 - 10 alone. The verse 'me' is used here once. All these refer to Paul and the things he most cared for.
These are the verbs that accompany the personal pronouns. 
Paul thanks God and prays to God for the Church in Rome
I thank my God
I serve in the Spirit
God is my witness
I remember you in my prayers
I pray that
Paul expresses his Spiritual affection to the brothers and sisters in Rome
I long to see you
I may impart some spiritual gift
that you and I may be mutually encouraged
Paul discloses is earlier plan to visit Rome
I do not want you to be unaware 
I planned many times to come to you
Purpose of the planned visit to Rome: Preach the Gospel
in order that I may have a harvest among you just as I have had among other gentiles
Paul explain the reason for preaching the Gospel
I am obligated to preach the Gospel to wise and unwise
That is why I am eager to preach the Gospel to you who are in Rome.
Paul explains the Power of the Gospel to justify sinners by faith 
I am not ashamed of the Gospel
Gospel is the power of God that brings Salvation to everyone who believes i.e trusts Christ. It came to the Jews first and then spread to the non - Jewish world. 
He uses the word 'Gospel' three times once in each verse in these three verses (15 - 17)
Paul provides the Scriptural basis for obtaining righteousness by faith 
Righteousness by faith from first to last as it is written "The righteous will live by faith".

So the gist of thought from the observations we made is that Paul wanted to preach the Gospel of obtaining righteousness by faith in Rome. He tried to visit them but was prevented. Now he is expressing his spiritual affection towards those in the Church at Rome by thanking God for them and praying for them. The Church in Rome is seen by Paul to have potential for great impact as they are in such a location where the whole world i.e people from every part of the world reside. 
Paul in the second half of the passage explains the power of the Gospel and it's foundation in the Old testament scriptures.



No comments:

Post a Comment